Monday, November 19, 2012

CTN Animation Expo


Hey everyone! The animation expo was amazing. I was able to rub shoulders with some of my heroes in the animation world and get some really good advice on how I ought to proceed from where I'm at to get to where I want to be and what I want to be doing.

I was able to speak with representatives from Laika, Disney, Sony, Blue Sky, Dreamworks, Riot Games, and a few others and got some very specific and consistent feedback. The consistency of the feedback I received was astounding to me. Almost every person I talked to said the exact same things to me. 

Overall, people seemed impressed with my skills as a draftsman and character designer. The critiques I received were to include more rough sketches and looser drawings in my portfolio and to demonstrate a wider range of styles. 

At BYU-Idaho where I'm currently studying, the entire illustration department is focused on developing portfolios to find work in publishing. I went to CTNX with what I thought was a fairly good portfolio with nice, clean, polished illustrations and drawings in a consistent style. It was a little bit of a shock to me to find out that that isn't what people want when they're looking for character designers.

Anyway, if anyone has any questions about my experience, just drop me a line and I'll get back to you. Here's a look at some of the swag I got while I was there:



I didn't have the money to buy this, but I really wish I did. It's one of Brittney Lee's fantastically gorgeous cut paper pieces that she was selling at her booth for $150. My gut was screaming at me when I passed it up:

No comments:

Post a Comment